Thursday, August 20, 2009

Baby Pools and Natural Disasters...

Hello Lovelies!

I hope you're all doing well. I have so much to share with you as usual.

First, I was featured in another blog that belongs to a fellow Maine team member and owner of Three Bridges Sewing Co. Thank you Peggy!


I have also added another character to the Cigar, Creeper & Dark Circus and Sideshow series. Madame Zora is my favorite so far because she's so dark, creepy and mysterious. Don't you agree? One more lady and then we start the men and they're going to be even more over the top. I can't wait to show them to you!


And I am doing my monthly paintings for the gallery. Here is a sketch to whet your appetite. I'm trying a new technique for this one, I'll be painting the background with acrylics and then I'll lay these little characters over the top in pen and ink on paper. Should be interesting, I'll post finished pics soon!


And I have found the most wonderful photographer that you need to check out. Lori Nix's work combines small models and dramatic lighting to create scenes that address catastrophic events and strange situations. They're amazing. My favorite is Bounty (pictured below) part of her Lost series. The other piece is fittingly entitled Blimp and is part of her Accidentally Kansas series. Lovely.


I want to recommend an author to all of you if you haven't heard of him yet. Steven Millhauser's work is pretty wonderful. I can't really put it into a category but if pressed, I would say it's fantasy set in the real world? I read The Knife Thrower and Other Short Stories and loved it. He's also written more famous novels like Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer that won a Pulitzer. His books are quick wonderful reads, so go pick one up and let me know what you think.

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

4 comments:

Kate8085 said...

I absolutely do agree!!! She is awesome, there is
just something about fortune tellers that I love..my mom has a tape from the seventies from her and my dad going to one, I wish she could find it.
I am looking forward to the men! (Wait..does that sound bad? hahaha)
I already love the little farts in the sketch!! Its going to be amazing!

Unknown said...

Thank you! Yes, fortune tellers are awesome. Looking forward to the men...heehee. I bet you are. ;D

The male "fart" has a hand grenade that I will be played up in the final piece... hahaha. Nasty little guys.

Chrisy said...

So much interesting stuff here...the baby pools is wonderful...and hopefully all those halloween buyers will snap up the fortune teller...and I'm going to check library tomorrow for Millhauser...and...well...that's all my memory can hold from the post!

cabin + cub said...

oooh Madame Zora is creeping me out.. I had scroll past that pic a little fast, since it was giving me the willies...

and Lori's photos are so cool.. had to send that link to the husband to share.

can't wait to see your painting! ;)