Tuesday, May 6, 2014

As Spring Arrives...

Hello Lovelies~

I hope this Tuesday finds you all doing well out there! It's been a busy couple of weeks for me and I find as spring creeps into Maine with its longer days, budding trees, warm winds and sweet smells, it causes me to look at life in a new way every year. I find this time of rejuvenation energizing and my artistic pursuits (so sensitive to the weather and seasons) benefit from this new energy and a fresh outlook on life in general. I've been working on some exciting things and I would love to share them with you. Want to?


To start, as I continue to build the client work in my portfolio, I wanted to do a more editorial project that would visually document a local Maine business: their daily workings, the tools of the trade, the people who run things. I specialize in highly styled people-based shoots, so these day-in-the-life projects allow me to exercise a different aspect of my creativity as a photographer.

I decided to work with a business called Mid-Coast Shoe Repair on this project and what a wonderfully accommodating group of people they were! Plus, they loved the work and plan to use it on their website, so it's a win/win! Always a good thing, no? Some of the candid outtakes are below and the entire professional album may be found over at my portfolio HERE. I found the idea of young people apprenticing as cobblers in this day and age and then taking over a 20+ year old business instead of letting it close, absolutely fascinating. It's so nice to find people who value traditional trades and help keep them vibrantly alive, don't you think?








What else? Oh! The fine art prints for the Modern America Series are finally available for sale! You can find 8" x 10" prints here at Stapelia, or, if you would prefer additional sizes, here, at my Society 6 store. I just received the first order of these prints in and they look amazing. I am using metallic inks on these so they almost look three dimensional. Get yours, today!



I am also adding some great new things to STAG this coming week! It's been awhile, and I have some things piling up. So many neat items, including this nautical scarf that looks like the W (Whiskey) flag in the nautical alphabet that also has monogrammed initials on it. Really clean and really unique, this would look great stuffed into that blazer this summer. And the transistor radio below was fixed by a friend and now, we all think it's haunted. Apparently, it only plays Frank Sinatra and other old music despite there not really being an old music station in the area... Odd. But cool.




And finally, I believe I mentioned a couple of posts back that I am doing the illustration work for Portland Maine's Old Port Festival Weekend this year. Well, that illustration is finally done! The work should be posted online etc. very shortly. Until then, here are some sketches and the final thing (taken from my computer screen... yikes) below! I'm so flattered they asked me to do this project.




So much work being done, but that doesn't mean I haven't taken time to relax. How do I relax, you ask? Oh, by going up to my good friends' house in the country and helping them take down their old greenhouse and put up a new one! This may not sound very relaxing, but for me, working in the sun with power tools and laughing a lot is one of my favorite things to do. I mean, sure, none of us really know how to build a greenhouse, but we'll get there... I'm sure we will. Haha.


Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

1 comment:

Chrisy said...

Great photos honey...pleased you're getting to 'relax'!