Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jeckyll, Hyde, and some eyes in the dark...

Hello Lovelies!

Well, I have been super busy over here in the Mill as per usual. I mentioned doing a Jeckyll & Hyde piece for my gallery's Ugly/Beautiful show. Well, here are some beginning process shots. It's coming along quite nicely I think. I will keep you all posted as I go. Still a lot to do on this one!


Also, I recently entered a very exciting illustration contest and I did a new piece for it entitled Eyes on Spring. It's below, sort of a "mind's eye wishing for spring flowers" piece. I don't usually do collage, but this was fun. Wish me luck!


Last piece of business, I will be listing some great new photography in the shop this week. I will post all about it next week, but stop by and keep an eye out for that!

I recently found a photographer whose work is right up my alley. Denise Grunstein puts kids out in the woods in masks in the mist and then has them do stuff that's so eerie it both fascinates me and makes my skin crawl... I love it! This little guys look like they'd bite though.


Speaking of wonderful photographers, have you all heard of Tim Walker? Well, if you haven't, you need to get right on it. His work is fantastical, beautiful and I love every one of his pieces/want to live in his world. Check out just a few photos below. What I couldn't do with his budget... sigh. Oh, and he has a book out that I'm coveting as well.


And can we talk for a minute about how awesome the old steam billboards used to be? If you aren't familiar with them, there's a picture below and some info here. Camel Cigarettes really took it to the next level and had them in a lot of different locations across the US. But Lipton Tea also used the technology and they're used very occasionally today. I just love the idea of steam looking like smoke animating these hand-painted billboards... but then, you all know I'm a sucker for vintage.


And speaking of vintage, let me wrap up with a song recommendation. If you like 1940's music, look up Jen Southern's Occasional Man. It sounds old, but I'm not sure if it is. Great song.

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

1 comment:

Anastasia Rinaldi said...

Such a beautiful, unique blog! :) I'm happy I found you on Etsy!