Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hot Sun, Cold Showers...

Hello Lovelies!

Well, I have returned from a wonderful, warm and rejuvenating week in Florida with my Sweetie and my best friend. We stayed in Sarasota and there was tons to do. We of course visited the Ringling Circus Museum which has a bunch of old circus stuff as well as an entire art museum and mansion tour, it was amazing. We also visited various beaches and wildlife parks, but the 70 degree weather would have made even just sitting there fun. Below are some shots I took. I have some beautiful photos that I will be adding to the shop in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for those!


In other news, I am getting ready to do a huge painting for the art co-op of which I am a part. It will measure 2' x 3', the biggest piece I've ever attempted and the subject will revolve around Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde because our theme is Ugly/Beautiful. It's going to be good and crazy and will most likely involve glitter. What it won't involve is a Hyde that looks like he belongs in Planet of the Apes or a Hyde that is smiling like he's happy and sane. (Please refer to below photo for reference...?) Yeah. Not sure what that's about.


I have discovered a person that I would like to share with you all, Ben Mounsey is an artist and illustrator whose work is more whimsical than I usually like. However, his black and white drawings below caught my eye and I fell for his clean accomplished technique as well as his sweet-faced subjects. Most of his prints are also available for purchase so jog on by and check him out.


Being a designer, I am a sucker for fonts and well-designed store windows. I also love old techniques and old aesthetics, so I about fainted away when I stumbled across the work John Downer did for Reserve Clothing. John is a sign painter and master typographer and he is one of the few remaining people in the United States who can do a gilded window. The video on the process is fascinating and his work is impeccable. I want a storefront window just so he can paint it...


Let's wrap it up with some nutso news, shall we? I have a doozy this week. Did you Lovelies read about the Russian circus chimp who was addicted to booze and cigarettes? He was apparently so addicted, he started pestering zoo visitors (where he was placed upon leaving the circus for aggression, he had aggression, it wasn't a circus of aggression) for booze. He has been sent to rehab. What the?! Really?! That's both sad and disturbing Folks... Poor chimp. Dang.

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

4 comments:

. c h o k l i t . said...

Your pictures from Florida are absolutely stunning!

Unknown said...

Aww, thank you! :)

cabin + cub said...

oooh Florida! I a so jealous you got to get away! I have never been there before.

ps. I am loving the gilded typography on the windows... don't see it much around anymore, which is too bad. how cool it would be to do your home windows!

Unknown said...

Home windows! That would be awesome! There's no limit to the cool things you could write on them! :)