Monday, April 12, 2010

Coney Island Jewels

Hello Lovelies!

I hope this Monday finds you all doing well wherever you are. I have been busy as usual in the old Mill, making some great things for you all and for various other endeavors.

First, I did a little spring cleaning and re-organized my shop by subject so it's easier to find the things you seek. I have also added a "Soon to be discontinued" section to phase some older stuff out and make room for the new. When these items expire, they're gone for good! And lastly, I also re-organized my website so you can more quickly and easily view my photography and paintings! It's all about you Dearies.

To complete the business portion of our programming, I have listed some great new photos from my New York trip that I think you'll appreciate. Picture below are just a few: Coney Island Mural, a new Facon de Parler entitled Dark Playland, and Nathan's Hot Dogs


Ooo! I have to tell you all about a book my Sweetie gave to me recently. As you know, I am a huge Camille Rose Garcia fan. Like, huge. I would like to eventually own all of her books (in lieu of an actual print or piece of work... sigh). I just added Saddest Place on Earth to my collection! It covers some of her earlier work and discusses the philosophy behind some of her exhibitions. Not only is the work top-knotch, but the feelings she describes trying to illicit from her viewer were in fact elicited from me while I was viewing... which is rare I find. Check it out!


Speaking of original work that I'm coveting, I have recently stumbled upon a clearing house for original art and illustration I want to share! The Inkwell Art House site has a little bit of everything; Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, Jack Davis, Al Jaffee and a ton of other illustrators I love, all for sale! Now, some are nutso price-wise, but there are a few romance novel covers (I know, I can't believe it either), that I really like and may buy. I mean, Jack Davis?! For a Mad Magazine/EC Comics dork like myself, this is big.


I have also found a wonderful illustrator via Threadless who I want to point out. Esther Arrts' shirts fly right off the shelves over there and I managed to nab two and felt lucky. Her portfolio is even better. Check it out y'all! Very neat sort of 60's mod-inspired stuff.


Let's wrap up with a weird news story, shall we? I have a doozy this week. Did you kids read about the Berlin woman who was arrested for trying to smuggle her deceased husband onto a plane in Liverpool? Yeah, she claims he was "alive when she left the house" but then, upon arriving at the airport, "he suddenly appeared so lifeless, like a wax figure"... This did not however, keep her from pushing him around the airport Weekend at Bernie's style with sunglasses on until she was in fact, arrested. Yiiikes, yikes people. Whew.

Life of the party indeed...

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

3 comments:

Chrisy said...

congrats on all your spring cleanin girl...think we all need assistants....oh maybe a cook and cleaner would suffice...

cabin + cub said...

oooh her illustration style is very cool... i am a big fan of 50s and 60s illustration style. and, yah, i heard about that Weekend at Bernie's woman on the news... i wonder how she managed by herself.. at least in the movie there was tow people holding the body up! ;)

April said...

I did lots of spring cleaning at home this weekend... and your NY pics are stunning. ♥