Monday, August 23, 2010

Sparrow Bride...

Hello Lovelies!

I hope you are all doing well. It's a misty and overcast dayhere at the Mill which feels like some early fall weather... my favorite season. In fact, to kick off theHalloween season, I did a little piece for my sister Abigail and enclosed it inside my favorite copy of my favorite book, Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and sent it off to get her in the spirit. We both love Halloween so very much.
Take a peek at the art I sent here:


What else? Oh, a couple more days of voting for my Light Lunch tee over at Threadless. If you have a second to score it, head on over. I would be ever so grateful. More tee designs to come, so standby!


And, as promised, there are 6 new Zom-B-Vex pieces going up this week and they are violent, crazy, over-the-top, and tongue-in-cheek, just the way you like 'em! Prepare yourselves.


I have found some outstanding artists I want to share with you. The first artist, Mathiole, I found via Threadless. He's a legend on that site, and his shirt designs transcend tees into the form of art. Plus, he has a really unique style that my eyes adore, a pleasing mixture of soft and hard, innocent and jaded. I love it. Take a peek!


And speaking of great illustrators, I have been an EC Comics fan for years, and it occurred to me the other day, I haven't mentioned "Ghastly" Graham Ingels on this blog yet! A major oversight on my part. EC Comics came out in the 30's and 40's and had such titles as Tales from the Crypt (sound familiar?), The Vault of Horror and The Haunt of Fear. Graham Ingels did the Haunt of Fear mainly and his ink work and sense of drama was unparalleled. Even in black and white his work achieves a sense of suspense. Take a look and read more about him, or better yet, get an EC Comic!


Let's wrap up with a movie review, shall we? Sure. I had fond memories of Waxworks I & II when I saw them for the first time nearly 2 decades ago. I remember them being clever and strange, and anything set in a wax museum is fine by me (see my House of Wax review here). But man was I off. On the one hand, the costumes, horror movie references and sets are pretty neat. On the other, the acting, dialogue, plot and logic are about as strong as an old lady's handshake, which is to say, they're pretty weak. During most of the "major plot developments" I was too busy looking at the cheap wigs to pay any attention to the plot, and really, it wasn't necessary to follow the movie anyway. It's worth a look-see if you haven't seen them yet, but don't expect much. 4 out of 5 corncobs.

Yes, this movie was less well-executed than this waxwork's nose and also less terrifying than said waxwork. Double fail.

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

No comments: