Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Salty Sailors, Red Armies & Sea Captains

Hello Lovelies~

I hope you are all doing well out there this week. Things here are busy as usual and I have so much to share! To start, I shot a very important piece this past weekend that I think could become a pretty big deal. It's not quite done yet, but I have some great candids from the shoot that I can share. Here are a few, and you can see the rest over at Flickr.

The lighting on this shot and the faces remind me of a V. C. Andrews novel cover, like Flowers in the Attic... of the U.S.S. New Jersey. Hahaha.
The coloring and light on this look straight out of LIFE Magazine circa 1942, don't they?
I was going for a Westside Story meets South Pacific vibe here. I think I nailed it.
I will also be wrapping up a couple of projects this coming weekend that I've shared bits and pieces of in past posts. Remember this series? I will be shooting the fourth and final piece in my Red Army series this weekend.


I will also, finally be shooting my sea captain... the one wearing this glamorous eye patch. (The model saw this and said "I'll be a pretty captain," I said... "pretty much." Hahaha.) I glam everything up, even the boys. Thankfully, they're getting used to it.


So, many fun things to anticipate, my Lovelies. Meanwhile, speaking of fun things, have you heard of Lab Partners? It is the brainchild of a husband and wife art and design team out of San Francisco. Their illustration is reminiscent of styles from the 50's and 60's and I adore it. Textured and spare with enough detail to make the work really shine, and those colors? Amazing. Take a look and check out their store too!



I also found a wonderful little series by an artist named Lorenzo Cappelli. He has created a series of old fake movie title screens that look like the real thing, were it not for the fact that they're for contemporary films. Such great work. (I wish I had the ability to create such drama using only black and white.)


And I have finally gotten in to see The Artist! All I have to say is 'wow.' That movie was beautiful and fascinating and spot-on from a period film perspective. One of my favorite eras captured in an amazing way. I watched it with my mouth agape the entire time. Plus, the plot was very sweet and simple and the dog? Wow. It deserved all of those awards, period. Period. Watch it if it's still in theaters near you...

Le Sigh...
 Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

No comments: