Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sneaky Sweets and a Killer Octopus....

Hello Lovelies!

Things have been busy as usual here at the mill. The YART sale ends today (50% off!!!) and things have gone really well with that. People have shown a lot of interest and that's always great.

Orders and other artistic endeavors outside of the shops altogether have kept me pretty hoppin' but not too busy to deliver to you kids the Sneaky Sweets collection as promised. These illustrations are now available in both shops and I'm excited about how they came out. My work is typically pretty dark both subject and color-wise because that's my aesthetic, but after getting several requests to do some brighter pieces that "I can put in my kid's room", I decided to make some cartoonish works... with of course, a dark twist. Here are 2 of the 4:


I have found a great shop on Etsy that I wanted to share with you all. Nutmegclick's shop falls somewhere between a supply shop and an art shop because her pieces are really well chosen... and at times morbid. I think a shark in a jar of formaldehyde was what initially reeled me in and as you can tell from the sample items below, you never know what you'll find. Cool shop.



And let me wrap up with a movie review here folks. Octaman comes from a long tradition of 2 horror movie paradigms; the "nature takes over" paradigm [think The Bees, Piranha, Slugs...] and the "thing in the lake/swamp/river" paradigm [think Creature from the Black Lagoon and Swamp Thing]. Put the two together into a man-sized latex octopus body suit and you have a winner folks. I won't ruin the plot for you (because there isn't one...), but suffice it to say there's a lot of girls/young studs continuously going into the swamp to get killed action and of course... the rubber octopus. The best part I think... is my VHS copy with the metallic cover on it. Real quality here folks. I'll give the suit alone 3 corncobs.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Wow, that acid green sewing machine is seriously cool.

Kate8085 said...

I love "Agent Choco Pops" description!
I second the sewing the machine from Nutmeg.

Unknown said...

I loved that sewing machine too! It's like a cross between a carnival ride and a 70's speed boat! Love it.

Christie Cottage said...

I am loving the sewing machine!

nutmeg click said...

oh oh! i just came across this. thanks for the mention! :D

love,
nutmeg