Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Snow, Skulls & St. Louis

Hello Lovelies!

I hope this Wednesday finds you well. I have been busy as a beaver over here doing a new painting for the July show at my gallery. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but it's going to be a doozy folks. (Think carnival train meets monsters... in pastels.) Yeah, it's going to be good.

Oh! And my Ringleader's Elephant piece was recently featured over at the TotusMel's Wunderkammer blog which I follow and I was really flattered to be shown there. Thank you!


Since the painting has taken most of my time, I have decided to mention a couple of great artists that I think everyone needs to know. First, Mark Ryden. If you haven't heard of this painter, that's okay. Better late than never. I love Mark's work. It's almost photo realistic but at the same time surreal and it pulls liberally from consumer culture icons (his studio is full of antique toys and Barbies apparently), all with a dark sense of humor. Here are a couple of his most recent works... Did I mention I love his paintings?


Another artist I recently stumbled across is Lisel Jane. I couldn't show any of her pieces here due to her website restrictions but click on that link and take a gander. She paints on birch for the most part and her works are detailed and realistic and haunting. I especially love the Civil War people she has superimposed over swamps and bogs etc... Love it.

I will wrap up by saying I am off to St. Louis tomorrow until next week to help out with a Susan G. Komen fundraiser. It should be a fun party with some interesting stories to share with all of you. I may have time to upload photos of my trip while I'm there, but if not, be safe and...

Until next time: unpleasant dreams.

4 comments:

cabin + cub said...

ooh.. exciting new show! can't wait to see the painting your are doing for it.

I like Mark Ryden's work as well... always so dreamy, surreal and a little macabre!

Sarah Knight said...

marvelous and interesting
: )

Chrisy said...

So many fantastic artists....

nomadcraftsetc said...

WOW! those are amazing!