Monday, October 4, 2010

Dark Dollies...

Hello Lovelies!

I hope this week finds you well and enjoying beautiful fallweather (if you're in the Northern Hemisphere). Things at the Mill are busy as usual. After a brief delay, the final pieces in the Zom-B-Vex series will be released this week! I have a listing for mini prints of this series up now too, if you want certain ones for a little less. I will also be offering the entire set for one price when it's finished.

Every year, I like to send out a Halloween card that I make fromscratch to family, friends and this year, repeat customers. It's a fun little project that helps me celebrate my favorite holiday. Well, I did a little shoot yesterday for the card and it's going to be a doozy! Here are candids of my boy and girl dollies. So fun.


In the Halloween vein, I found a great sculptor I'd like to share with you. Mike Hill (according to his bio), has always loved old horror movies and monsters. The bulk of his work has been sculpting models of great horror film stars like Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff etc. His work really makes these monsters live and breathe. (Which, in the case of Linda Blair in the Exorcist, freaks me right out...)


And for those pulp art lovers out there, Ryan Heshka's work is absolutely stunning. He takes imagery and a technique that was popular in the 30's and 40's and breathes new (and at time humorous) life into it. I want all of his books (he has several) and maybe one day, an original if I'm lucky. Look you guys:


Well, I finally had an opportunity to watch Blacula and man, it was a treat. From the 70's afros, to the random facial hair on Blacula himself, to the cocktail waitress/party photographer who leaves work to develop pictures (and of course... gets killed). It was great. Rent it, or better yet buy it if you find it.

And apparently this is a shot from the movie and I don't remember this scene at all...

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

2 comments:

Diana said...

Wow! So much to comment on!

1. Is that a glitter pumpkin? I love it.

2. Sculptures of monsters (or monstery people?). Come on. Those are creepy and awesome.

3. Love the pulp.

4. Blacula. I definitely need to see this. I love afros.

Unknown said...

Yes Diana, that is in fact a glitter pumpkin. :)
I love those sculptures too! They're so lifelike and creepy.
And yes, you need to catch Blacula. ;)