Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Seances, Squids & Soldiers

Hello Lovelies~

I hope you all had a wonderful, relaxing holiday season. Mine was hectic and fun and over too fast! I have a lot to share with you this week. In the photography arena, I am done with Red Army #2. Only 2 left to go! I also played around with some new filters and techniques to create a sort of wood grain portrait of the same model. I love the moodiness of it. What do you think?


And, I just did some holiday portraits for a client I wanted to share. These wee ones were so cute and so photogenic, it was a pleasure. She was very happy with how these came out. See the rest here.


I have listed a print in the shop for the squid lovers out there. You may remember my Last One Standing portrait series for that competition that I showed you recently. Well, due to positive feedback, I've decided to offer the below shot as an archival print HERE.


Enough business, I want to share with you the best gift I received this holiday season! I am so excited about it. I have admired the work of Liza Corbett for a long time. Her softly executed portraits of women, and surreal landscapes are just spellbinding. Well, she had a show this month in California of some original work and I got one of the pieces for Christmas! The piece is seance-inspired and it's called Sweetheart Come. Take a look. (The hands and her veil are my two favorite things about this piece...)


I also took a spin through my local thrift store to take a look through their records (this is how I get all of my albums, they're so much cheaper there than at a record store). I was not disappointed. I found this classic Herb Alpert album I've wanted for awhile and a great Frank Sinatra and Friends Christmas album! Good stuff.


I would like to wrap up with a movie recommendation I recently re-watched and enjoyed immensely: Bell, Book & Candle. A campy classic starring Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak, the movie follows some witches as they get up to mischief and Kim Novak's character eventually gets Jimmy Stewart to fall in love with her. Pretty pedestrian fare, but the outfits, the sets, the Zodiac Club, and the whole witch angle were wonderful. Take a gander if you need a movie to curl up to some night.


Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

No comments: