Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Headed West...

Hello Lovelies~

I hope you are all doing well out there this week. I am doing very well here and I have some things to share with you all.

To start, some of the photographs from my Last Ones Standing series will be on display as part of a joint show with my good friend Bridget McAlonan (an amazing painter) entitled Life is a Gas. The work has a fairly complicated artist statement that involves women's rights and the loss of innocence, but aesthetically, it's really just about gas masks and girls. It should be a neat show and the space is beautiful. The show runs from May 20th - June 30th at the Frank Brockman Gallery in Brunswick, Maine. Artist reception is June 14th 5-7pm. If you're local, come and take a look. I will be at the reception on the 14th and would love to meet you.



What else? In other business news, STAG continues to grow by leaps and bounds. I've made over 200 sales in under a year in business and in the process, I have met a ton of great vintage-loving folks who have told me all about the people they're buying these things for and I love to hear the stories. Whether it's an Ella Fitzgerald record sent to a woman's long-distance boyfriend for Valentine's Day, or a great vintage tie used by a groom on his wedding day, it makes me very happy to find homes for these items with people who love them. Father's Day is just around the corner (June 16th) and I will be listing a ton of great things in the coming weeks, so stop by STAG and get Dad something he will really cherish.



Some fun, personal items. I am a proud glasses wearer. While I do have contacts, I rarely wear them. I am also extremely finicky about frames. It was time for some new glasses and I had something specific in mind: 1960's men's horn rim glasses. There were two problems with this: 1.) Actual vintage frames are typically very bent out of shape and no one in Portland can return them to their former glory, and 2.) Men's horn rims are a bit masculine for my taste. Well, imagine my pleasant surprise, when I found a new pair of 60's-inspired horn rims for girls! The perfect shape and they're not as severe. I looooove my new glasses. What do you think? Good?


And in other news, I am leaving for Oregon tomorrow for several days to visit my sister! I haven't visited her in several years (it's hard when you're bi-coastal) and I can't wait to see her face. She is graduating from college and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I haven't been back to Portland since I lived in Oregon 9+ years ago. I love that city and it's a beautiful time of year to visit. We will have such fun. I am bringing my camera, but hopefully, I won't want to take a moment away to use it. I even found a summery dress for the graduation (and for several other formal events this season, because I do not dress shop often... yuck) that fits my aesthetic perfectly: feminine, tailored and vintage-inspired. Watch out Portland, the Beebe Girls are about to descend upon you... Haha.



And I'm going to wrap up with an amazing and adorable video I found this week. This piece, produced by Saatchi & Heckler, shows children's reactions to foods they're trying for the first time. The music? Those faces? Goodness, this is too much. I think the blonde girl in pig tails is my favorite reaction, but they're all squeeee-worthy. Sweet babies. What a clever idea.




Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

No comments: