Monday, August 12, 2013

Meteors, Beaches & Summer's Last Month...

Hello Lovelies~

I hope this Monday finds you all happy and well out there! Things here have been so busy and so good, I hardly know where to begin.

To start, I have been working away at my secret project and I shot piece #5 in that series this past weekend. It went so well and the shots look so good. I am very excited about how this project is moving along and I can't wait to unveil the first 5-7 pieces this Fall. I am truly grateful to have so many people who are just as excited to make great work as I am, it really shows. Here are some candids from last weekend's shoot! (Yes, I was juggling dogs, kids and a vintage car, but we made it work.) Take a look:

I am in love with this Edsel station wagon. Truly.



As I always say: The beauty is in the details with my work. These pennants added a vintage vacation vibe to my latest shot.

The boys in costume and ready to go! So fun...
I just did a huge clothing drop over at STAG as well. Some nice, summery shirts as well as some long-sleeved early Fall flannels and even some bow ties. It really ran the gamut this week! I even dropped a jacket from a South Carolina State Hospital. (What does that even mean? I don't know...) Stop by the shop for all of your vintage needs, Gentlemen! More to come very soon...




In an effort to enjoy summer here in Maine, I have limited my work days a bit so I can spend time with friends, outdoors or even at the beach. This weekend was the first beach day I've ever done! I've walked by the beach, I've rolled my pants up and waded in, I've sat in the sand, of course. But to swim in the ocean or lay out? Never. It was such fun. Just relaxing and enjoying the sun on my face. And then I visited my good friends and picked some vegetables from their garden, laughed and ended the night watching for the Perseids meteor shower with a cigar and a glass of scotch (I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm a 55 year old man trapped in a woman's body... hahaha). It was such a perfect weekend, you guys. The last month of summer is shaping up to be a very good one.




Then there was this mossy mandible in the woods. That sounds like a Nancy Drew novel...



Orb Spider.

Then we smoked cigars like old men...

Kitten in a sweatshirt (she kind of liked it)...

It's been awhile since I've featured another photographer on here, and a friend just introduced me to the work of Iain McKell and I was blown away. In particular, the work in his book The New Gypsies caught my eye and held it. Much of this series looks like a National Geographic spread from the 70's: editorial, kodachromatic with that soft, warm focus. Normally, work like this doesn't interest me. I like work that does more than capture a moment, I like when it creates one. But here, as you flip through, a moment has been created. A wild, ancient, egalitarian, nomadic, fringe culture moment has been created and it's beautiful. Take a look:




Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

No comments: