Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fireworks, Lakes & The Hardy Boys

Hello Lovelies~

I hope you are all doing well out there today! Sorry the post is a day late this week, but I was at the lake all weekend with good friends swimming, snorkeling, eating great food and lighting off some fireworks (this is the first year they've been legal in Maine in a long time). It was absolute bliss. Being totally unplugged is something I don't do very often and I'm so much happier when I do. Below are some pics and there are more over on Flickr.





I have also dropped some new product over at Stag and it seems as though things are really starting to take off over there. Things are selling pretty steadily already, so if you see something you like, grab it if you can as these items are all one of a kind. I post all the items I list over on Flickr. Follow the Facebook page too, so you can see the full inventory and also get the daily trivia, fun photos and style tips I post daily! (Those Bob Dylan records aren't going to last long, I can guarantee you that, and it's some of his earliest work which is hard to find.)





I have just discovered an amazing illustrator who I wanted to share with you: Tadahiro Uesugi. Heard of him? He is primarily and best known for his Coraline concept illustrations and character development, but I just love his use of a muted color palette, the light in his pieces and of course the 60's rough-brushed edge he has. It really gives his work a tangible feel sorely lacking in Photoshop painting that has become so prevalent today. Take a look:




What else? Oh! I follow an amazing blog called The Bold Italic out of San Francisco and they recently did an article about a place called the Vortex Room that makes me wish I lived out in San Fran or was visiting soon. The Vortex Room is a bar, event space and rare and obscure movie screening venue that's decked out in full bachelor magic complete with pinball machines, tiki heads and shag carpeting. These things all coming together under one roof are my idea of heaven, so the article was fascinating to me. Wrapped in mystery, housed in a rundown building that gives not a hint of what's inside and run by a dapper gentleman who would be a Stag patron for sure (if he'd ever heard of Stag). Check out this interior!



So, I pretty much feel like I was born in the wrong decade on at least a weekly basis. Mostly, I feel like I should have been born in the 40's or 50's, but this week, thanks to the And Everything Else blog, it's the 60's and 70's. Why? Because of Mattel Make and Play Toys which were made during that time. That's why. Mattel apparently sold kits that allowed you to make your own molded monster makeup, shrunken heads, fun flowers, action figures, and even incredible edibles, which you could actually eat! These things look like they were amazing, is my point. And I want one of each. Check this out:





What's a toy you missed playing with because you were born in a totally different generation?

Until next time: unpleasant dreams...

No comments: