Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mommy?!

Hello Lovelies~

I hope you are all well out there! Things here are busy, busy as usual. A lot of interesting projects in the works and in production that I can't wait to share. But, for now, there's this amazing client project I just completed! A friend and client approached me to do her maternity shoot. I've worked with her on several of my own projects and she has a great sense of humor and an amazing personality. She wanted me to create a series of maternity photos for her that were funny and fun, not traditional. So, we did some brainstorming and came up with these. I call this the MOMMY?! Series. More here. Funny, aren't they?






And I was out this past weekend digging through some junk shops to find more great Stag items for you boys (and girls) who love vintage out there! I found some great things I will be listing soon, and also this little guy. Yeah, that's a wee stuffed alligator. His face and teeth make me laugh. I'm still not sure I'll be able to part with this particular item, he's keeping my other taxidermy things company right now... maybe soon. And you, dear readers, will be the first to know!


And speaking of weekends, I actually had a pretty good one! I spent half a day junking (one of my favorite things to do, quite frankly), with a very good friend. We found this amazing vintage skull patch that I thought looked great on the green, wool military jacket she was wearing, so we snapped it up and I worked my magic sewing it on. She was delighted with the results! (I love taking old things and making them useful again, even if just as adornment...) Then, a friend came over and we cooked up some soup and drank this wine, the label of which was photographed by Dean Bradshaw, an amazing photographer who I've followed for a long time. In fact, it was the label that made me get this particular brand (that's how everyone makes these choices, right???) and it ended up being pretty good. Then, I wrapped up my weekend by going for a long run around our Back Bay Trail (3 1/2 miles) in the freezing, windy, muddy cold. I loved it! I love the challenge of running outdoors in inclement conditions: it empties my head out and brings it back to the basics. Good stuff, you guys. Life is swell.






I have found a great photographer whose work I wanted to share with you this week. Andrzej Dragan is a photographer whose work I just happened upon recently. Well, I take that back, his name, I happened upon. His work I'm familiar with. He did the iconic image of Christopher Walken (below), and the series of aging stars that I love, including Marilyn Monroe (also below). Even his regular  portraits have an intensity and focus that I find fascinating. Check out his page, it's eye candy galore!





It's cold and flu season out there, so it's only appropriate to wrap up with this vintage ad for Listerine. Now, I don't know what the ad said (the copy is missing), but it says it helps with sore throats. I can't even imagine how it would help with that. Gargling? With Listerine? Really? Yikes (and yuck). That's like the myriad uses Lysol had back in the day that give me the heebies and the jeebies. Regardless, great illustration!



Until next time: unpleasant dreams...


No comments: